- 50g/2 ozs butter
- 250g/9 ozs cream cheese
- 100 ml/3 fl ozs milk
- 60g/2 ozs plain flour
- 20g/1 oz cornflour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 150g/5 ozs fine granulated sugar
- 6 eggs separated
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons Dutch process Cocoa (tip: light cocoa will not stand out for the dark zebra stripes!)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 4 eggs and 150g of sugar. And then, using a hand-held electric mixer, beat until the mixture is creamy and light in color.
- Add milk as you continue beating. Carry on beating until the mix is well blended.
- Combine and mix flour, vanilla powder, and baking powder. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients (other mix) and beat just until the batter is smooth and the dry ingredients (this mix) are thoroughly incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into 2 equal portions. Keep one portion plain (light). Add cocoa powder into another and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
- Lightly grease the pan with oil.
- This part is the most important: assembling the batter in the baking form, and creating the stripes.
- Leave in the oven for about an hour. For the first 20 minutes, don't open the oven doors or else the cake will shrink and not rise. To check if the cake is ready, just stick a toothpick into the center: it should come out clean when ready. When you take the cake out, immediately run a knife around the outside of the pan to loosen the cake, then place the cake on a plate/cooking rack/etc. Turn the cake back over, and let it cool down.
Click here for Original Recipe and more Details
Photo1 Credit: notquitenigella.com
Photo2 Credit: so-simply-ronnie.blogspot.com