- ½ cup red lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and ½ cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onions
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- ¾ cup veggie broth
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Pie Crust:
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1 oz cream cheese, chilled
- 2-4 tablespoons of ice water
- In a food processor (or a medium bowl) combine flour and salt for crust. Pulse (or cut) in butter. Once butter is mostly into small chunks, pulse (or cut) in cream cheese. Once butter and cream cheese are in pea size pieces, pulse in ¼ cup of water until dough begins to come together (adding a 1 tablespoon of water extra as needed.) Remove from food processor and shape into a disc (without handling the dough too much.) Wrap in plastic and place in refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Combine lentils and 2 cups of water together in a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let cook until lentils have softened and most of the water has been soaked up. Set aside.
- In another pot, heat olive oil of medium-low. Cook onions until they become fragrant and translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in butternut squash and continue to cook for five more minutes or until butternut squash begins to soften. Next, add in rosemary and flour, stirring so that the flour covers the butternut squash and onion mixture.
- Pour in white wine and loosen anything that may have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Finally, stir in cooked lentils and veggie broth. Bring to a boil and stir for one minute then remove from heat and pour into a small casserole dish (mine was about 4″.)
- On a floured surface, roll out dough and you can use the dough as is and crimp it over the entire pot pie. The dough can also be cut with cookie cutters and places on top of the pot pie.
- Brush pie crust with olive oil and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
Click here for Original Recipe and more Details
Photo Credit: naturallyella.com