- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can Ro-tel diced tomatoes, drained
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt (I like Lawry's)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 6-8 large flour tortillas
- Season the chicken breasts with salt, half of the cumin, and 1 tsp of
the chili powder. Add chicken to a skillet and add about 1 cup of water.
Cover and cook on med-high heat until cooked through. Add more water if
necessary. Once the chicken is cooked, cool slightly and shred with 2
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, drained tomatoes,
cheese, remaining spices, garlic, cilantro and scallions. Mix together
until well-incorporated. Add cooled chicken and stir together.
- Lay out tortillas and divide mixture evenly in the center of each. Spread into a thin layer leaving the edges clean. Roll each tortilla tightly. Do not fold in the ends like you would with a burrito but leave them free. Use a sharp knife to cut into 1" thick slices and transfer to a serving platter. (The end pieces will likely unroll a little so just eat the extras). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Photo Credit: slavasrecipes.com