- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 slices bread, day old
- 3 ounces cheese, grated/shredded, room temperature
- 2 pounds tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 red pepper, cut in half and seeded
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 4 cloves garlic, whole and unpeeled
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Completely butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread in the pan, buttered side down, sprinkle on the cheese and top with the remaining slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Turn the heat down a notch and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
- Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 2-4 minutes.
- Cut the edges from the grilled cheese, cut int 1 inch squares and use to garnish your favourite soup.
Roasted Tomato Soup:
- Place the tomatoes, red pepper, onions and garlic on a baking pan with the cut sides up.
- Drizzle a bit of olive oil over everything and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast in a 375F preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Place everything but the cream into a sauce pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree with a hand blender to desired consistency and mix in the cream.
Click here for Original Recipe and more Details
Photo Credit: closetcooking.com