- 1 kg tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 head garlic (unpeeled), separated
- 2 c vegetable broth, heated
- ¼ c chopped fresh basil + leaves for garnish
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 4 thin slices baguette, toasted
- 1 mozzarella, sliced
- Wash the tomatoes and peel the skin. You don’t have to remove the skins but the soup will be more smooth if you do. Cut the tomatoes in half and place them on an oven tray with the seedy part facing up. Cover with the olive oil, dried basil and about ½ tsp sea salt and roast at 300F (150C) for one hour, turning the tomatoes on the other side after 30 minutes. Roasting brings out the tomato flavor and makes a thicker soup
- Add the roasted tomatoes and the juice surrounding them to a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a medium pot on medium heat, add the olive oil and the garlic. Stir for 10 seconds only, just enough for the garlic to release its flavor. Add ½ Tbsp of the fresh basil and 1 Tbsp fresh oregano. Stir for another 10 seconds. Turn the heat on low, add the blended tomatoes and stir for 2 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, you can add some water. Add half of the remaining chopped basils and the remaining salt (taste constantly!). Stir for another one minute. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle bread with oil. toast in 375 degrees oven until it begins to turn golden, about 5 minutes. top with mozzarella and return to oven. cook until cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute more.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top each with a cheese toast, and garnish with basil.
Photo Found at: http://izismile.com/2012/12/08/crazy_food_porn_part_6_50_pics-6.html