- 3½ oz all-purpose flour
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1¼ oz butter
- 2 oz grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- salt to taste
- Place potatoes in a pot and completely cover with cold salted water, stopping when the water is 1 inch in above the potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender (or when a knife enters easily), about 50 minutes.
- Let cool until they can be handled. Peel and put them through a ricer or food mill.
Combine hot peeled potatoes with flour, egg and salt. Turn dough out onto a floured cutting board and cut into 3 portions.
- Gently roll each portion into a long log about 3/4 inch thick. Cut each log into ¾-inch pieces with a floured knife.
- Press a piece of dough against tines of a floured fork, and push with a floured thumb in a forward motion toward end of tines, letting gnocchi fall from fork onto a floured kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
The gnocchi should be cooked in salted water, well drained, then dressed with a generous helping of butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Add (to taste) tomato sauce or even better still, fresh cherry tomatoes browned in butter.
Click here for Original Recipe and more Details
Photo Credit: academiabarilla.com