- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (should yield about 3 cups once processed)
- ½ cup / 1.7 oz / 50 gr mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 free range egg, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons thick tomato sauce
- ½ cup / 1.7 oz / 50 gr mozzarella cheese
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C) and place a rack in the middle. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease with olive oil.
- In a food processor rice the cauliflower florets in batches (process until evenly chopped but not pulverized). Transfer cauliflower rice to a microwave dish and microwave on high for 8 minutes, until cooked.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to squeeze out as much moisture as you can (I squeezed out more than 1 cup of liquid). This is very important. The cauliflower rice needs to be dry. Otherwise you’ll end up with a mushy dough, not a crusty one.
Transfer the cauliflower rice to a mixing bowl and add egg, mozzarella, oregano, sea salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Using your hands, press the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into three discs (diameter should be about 5 inches). Place in the oven and bake for 10 (no more no less, 10 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and, working quickly, top the half of each disc with tomato sauce and mozzarella. Using a large spatula carefully lift the half of the disc without filling and fold it over the other part (that’s ok if the disc brakes a bit).
- Use your fingers to push the edges of each calzone together and seal in the filling.
Bake in the oven for an additional 12 minutes.
- Serve hot!
Tip : For eating these later, you can use a toast roaster to heat them up again and eat them for lunch!
Click here for Original Recipe and more Details
Photo Credit: theironyou.com