- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 anchovies, rinsed and chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes and their juice, preferably no salt added
- ½ cup chopped, pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 Tbs capers
- 1 cup freshly chopped arugula
- Parmesan cheese, crumbled w/fork
- Basil leaves
- Fresh arugula (optional)
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water with salt until barely al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red onion, garlic, anchovies, and red bell pepper. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant and onion is slightly caramelized, about 2-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, breaking them up by hand. Stir in capers and olives. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until thickened, approx 8-10 min. Stir in arugula and simmer for a minute until slightly wilted.
- When pasta is done, drain and add to skillet, tossing it with sauce to combine. Top with crumbled cheese and torn basil.
Click here for Original Recipe and more Details
Photo Credit: healthyaperture.com