- 100g (5oz) butter, plus a tbsp for greasing
- 1kg (2lb 4oz) golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half and seeds scraped out
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 tbsp Calvados
- 200g (7oz) loaf brioche, thinly sliced
- 300ml (½ pt) double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the apples, lemon juice, vanilla pod & seeds and sugar. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until the apples break down.
- Stir through the calvados and simmer for another 10 minutes. Discard the vanilla pod and leave the apples to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease 6 individual pudding basins with butter and line with the brioche overlapping them slightly, saving some for the top.
- Spoon in the cooled apple mixture and top with the reserved brioche. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile lightly whip the cream with the cinnamon & vanilla to soft peaks. Leave the apple charlottes to cool slightly before turning out onto plates and serving with the cinnamon cream.
Photo Credit: www.womanandhome.com