- 8 oz Penne pasta
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles, Mild
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced scallions
- Start with add in olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in ½ cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown, and bubbly.
Note: Serves 4.
Photo Credit: kevinandamanda.com